Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lets Talk About B@@BS

A friend of mine had her first baby this past week and she dealt with something that I have never had to. Breastfeeding difficulty. He was latching on and everything fine, but loosing weight! I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been! The nurses were all but helpful. Criticizing her and trying to force her to give the baby formula. She felt hopeless! As she was telling me this1, I started thinking, why are so many people "anti-boob"??

Here is some food for thought, direct from the American Academy of Pediatrics website: Most health professionals are familiar with the benefits of breastfeeding. The AAP continues to support the unequivocal evidence that breastfeeding protects against a variety of diseases and conditions in the infant... Breastfeeding is also a great benefit to the environment and society. Breastfeeding families are sick less often and the parents miss less work. With this said, I'm so confused! Why is it that so many nurses/doctors, who should be informed about the importance and benefits of "mama milk" are often times so unsupportive of it? A mother who is struggling to feed her child in the way that God created our bodies to do should not be made to feel like a bad parent, should not be forced to give the baby formula. But instead, be encouraged, shown the right positions to hold the baby, be offered the services of a lactation consultant, ect.

I have been very blessed in my efforts to nurse my two youngest children. My daughter nursed for just over 6 months and weaned herself. And my son is 15 months old and we are still going strong. I cannot tell you how many sideways glances we get. How many times people say to me, "when are you gonna stop that?", even the receptionist at the doctors office said to me, "oh you should stop that!" I'm baffled. A direct quote from the AAP says, "The AAP recommends that babies be exclusively breastfed for about the first 6 months of life. This means your baby needs no additional foods (except Vitamin D) or fluids unless medically indicated. Babies should continue to breastfeed for a year and for as long as is mutually desired by the mother and baby. Breastfeeding should be supported by your physician for as long as it is the right choice for you and your baby."

In this country of healthy living and awareness of whats good for your body, why is it that one of the fundamental and original ways to do whats the healthiest for your family is demonized? Now, I"m not a "nursing nazi," there are some cases where breastfeeding just doesn't work. But my point is that people in the health care field in particular should be some of the first to offer support for a mother that would like to try it. Not make them feel like their baby is going to suffer because of it. And as a disclaimer, for any of you reading this, if you DID NOT breastfeed your baby this post is in no way intending to belittle or judge you, it is merely a rant from a tired mother of three about the lack of support for those who do.

Ok... so now that my big 'ole rant is over... time for my Crunchy item of the week...

The Crunchy item of the week issss: the gDiaper gCloth inserts. I started cloth diapering in true crunchy fashion and I was amazed at the possibilities of what you could fluff your baby's bum with! The gDiaper is a well known cloth diaper. It is a so called "big name" in cloth. However, I was not aware that there were REUSABLE inserts for the diapers. I was under the assumption that there were only disposable biodegradable inserts. Well these reusable gCloths have received very high ratings and come 6 in a pack for $23 at babiesrus.com. Here is the link! Let me know if you decide to go with cloth, or have used the gCloth reusable inserts before! Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment